It’s an established fact that indie authors need book reviews, yet statistically only about two out every thousand (0.2%) readers take the time to write one. If you want to encourage your favorite author and help potential readers make a decision, spend a few moments sharing your thoughts after reaching “The End”.
NOTE—some find it beneficial to wait a day or two, allowing their thoughts to settle before submitting a review. Jotting down notes as you read may also help you remember all the things you wanted to say.
- attempt to re-tell or summarize the story.
- include spoilers unless you warn the reader first.
- be unnecessarily harsh or destructive (if it’s really that bad, write directly to the author with your concerns instead).
- ensure it is well-written and free of spelling and grammatical errors (or you risk not being taken seriously).
- review the book that you have just read, not the one that you wish the author had written.
- make sure your criticisms are justified and offset with praise about what you liked.
WHAT TO SAY/QUESTIONS TO ANSWER
The review doesn’t have to be very long; anywhere from few sentences to a paragraph will do.
- Focus on what most appealed to you about the book and/or about some glaring faults in it that hampered your enjoyment. Be sure to say WHY it mattered to you, as authors are keen to hear your reasons and doing so personalizes the review for the reader.
- Be specific. Was it the story, the writing style, the characters, the drama, the plot and how it was contrived, the pace, the humor, the climax? Share things that spoke to you personally and will be useful both to the author and future readers.
- Did the book cover the content as described? Did you get your money’s worth? What could the author have done better? How does it compare to other books in the genre? Feel free to cite other books you’d compare this one to.
Keep in mind that a good review is not a diatribe against the author or an opportunity to present yourself as an all-knowing book critic! Share your thoughts as though you’re having a pleasant conversation with a friend. Be honest, be fair, and be kind—the author expended an enormous amount of time, commitment, and creativity to produce the book for you and others to enjoy.